Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My job has it's good points...Beautiful points...

My job has allowed for me to meet some really great and talented people. Some that come into my life briefly but leave a mark that I know I'll remember them for a really long time.

One of the things I used to do was meet guys and gals interested in playing music in the outdoor part of my restaurant. Some come in and the Paula in me keeps the twitch in my eye from exposing itself to the ones that don't quite fit the bill and appear drunk and happy and say

"I'll call you" Drunk Smile with that Hollywood cheese...cause that's Paula right?

And then there are the times that I meet people that blow me away. That have triggered some memory with the song they sing and the voice that they bring to it.

My favorite time was when doing a local TV thing showcasing the restaurant I work for. The TV station had brought these 5 brothers with them to do funny skits for the piece.

While doing what we all had to do, we all started talking, laughing, pretending to pretend we didn't care the camera was on us and found out they were also a singing group.

I thought...oh no, not another person asking if they could sing here. I don't know how to tell people NO...(Uh, remember that post)..and so right outside on the table closest to the street, they stood up and all 5 sang THE BEST aCapella of "Pretty Woman" I've ever heard.

It was effortless the way they sang and mock fought with each other AND managed to make me blush like a teenager while singing that song for me. People stopped, listened, wondered who they were, wondered who I was (er, nobody really, just the boss of this place, nervous laughter to follow).

They finished.

I smiled all day long.

They were singing regularly in my place the following week. (What can I say, I'm a sucker)



Click above You Tube for just the music for rest of the post....

This leads me on to the following photo. The two guys below walked in and wondered if we had any openings for music. The girls that worked swooned a little as they had that "yummy" look about them. (Alright I did too, I was still not married yet :)

Ryan on the left and Josh on the right.

We really didn't have room for them and said we would be in contact with them if something opened. And it was like the fates aligned and an opening came up. And my mind thought instantly of them. Their first night playing was so interesting and fun to watch. Most of my female staff were walking with a lighter step, a longer smile, and that look in the eye that said...

"THANK YOU, Boss Rambler. Eye candy at work + singing voice candy=Happy Girl Staff!"

And you know what, they could totally sing. I mean, I was like WOW. They soon became a favorite amongst staff and the patrons of the restaurant. Everyone liked em. Everyone. Well except some of the boy staff that I think secretly wanted to be them. (wink).

Flash forward to my wedding.... I knew I wanted just chill music and I knew I wanted them to play. And graciously they accepted. Josh has this amazing voice and was so happy with his take on "Take My Breathe Away" ...

(just so you know Ryan is great also, but this bloggy love post is gonna be about Josh)

The song you hopefully clicked on before reading this portion of the post was written and sung by him.

"Beautiful" has made it's way into a Dawson Creek (pre Tom Cruise Katie Holmes) show and a Hilary Duff movie. Before I knew all that I had fallen in instant love with the song because I felt it said what I needed to say to my husband and then when I had my daughter, it fit. For her.

And I cry almost everytime.

Because the song makes me think of how Beautiful she is. (cheesy, I know, but it's my blog and I can cheese when I want to)

He has since moved to Nashville to record more songs and we keep in touch via email. I'm lucky to get a preview of some of his new songs and if I can farking figure out how to play just a farking song in a single post I'd love to play it for you...cause he said I could :) I'm excited because he's coming back to Hawaii in April and I'm hoping to get him some playtime while he vacations/works out here for the month.

Yes. I am thankful for this job that puts me in the path of some really amazing people with such wonderful talent. Him being one of them.

Thanks Josh Zandman, for walking into my restaurant that day and giving me a song that will forever mean the world to me. :)


13 ramblings of your own:

Lyndsay said...

What a beautiful post! What a great oppotunity you've had to meet some great musicians. I absolutely love music :)

JZ said...

You are so incredibly sweet!! Playing your wedding was an honor and one of those great memories I will always think about. Can't wait to see you in April!!!

Chris said...

That was an amazing post -- and what a beautiful opportunity your job does afford you!

I have so much admiration for those who write and sing their own music -- this song is terrific!

Your words are wonderful and heartfelt too.

Chris said...

That was an amazing post. Your job affords you an amazing opportunity to meet some wonderfully talented people. I think this song is terrific -- as are your heartfelt words.

Doublebanker said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Check out my new gifs when you have a chance....

Gif away here!

DB

The Blonde Duck said...

That's wonderful! I love this story!

Shorty said...

What a great post! I'm glad you have those wonderful opportunities at work...perhaps it helps to balance the wear & tear from all of the many, many, many hours you dedicate. As always, thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

That was such a sweet post. You are so lucky to have a job like that...I'm jealous.

DiPaola Momma said...

I think that this post really illustrates the difference between music as entertainment and music as an art. Thanks! And ditch the Paula, you are so much more chic and entertaining... but that isn't too hard to do.. he he

Maki said...

This is WHY I want to mave back to the island asap!!!

Actually my BFF is engaged and getting married in Sep - we have to get together!

Such a wonderful post, Sweetie!

xoxo

Krissy said...

CHEESEBALL

The Mathews Family said...

my husband is from Oahu! We get back as much as we can....love your blog! All the best, C.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing and I LOVE LOVE that song.